Who We Are
New York School of Design is fashion focused design school. Located in New York City's Garment District, NYSD provides an inspiring training ground that fosters the development of our student's interests and career goals in fashion design. Since its founding in 2005, NYSD has maintained its position as the hub for intensive, hands-on training, and offers accelerated programs in fashion design to students of diverse backgrounds and nationalities.
What We Do
OUR MISSION: WE PROVIDE STUDENTS WITH CHALLENGING AND EFFECTIVE HANDS-ON TRAINING IN FASHION AND DESIGN.
Partnering with the industry, we continually enrich our programs with high quality standards, diverse creative experiences and experienced faculty with professional achievements. Our graduates are equipped to launch a career in fashion, be practitioners in fashion and design trades, or pursue advanced education.
Our Core Values
We believe that education should be within reach of any student who has the passion and will to succeed. We provide that opportunity by keeping our programs affordable through intensive and rigorous industry skills mastery.
We develop innovative industry partnerships that make a positive difference to our students' learning experience.
We value our people - students, teachers, and staff. We encourage their development, and recognize their successes.
We honor and embrace the uniqueness of each individual. We take pride in one's own point of view and respect each other's differences.
We believe in taking ownership and responsibility in achieving sustainable practices for our school and community to improve our natural, built, and social environment.
OUR GOAL: IS TO INSTILL IN ITS GRADUATES THE SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE NEEDED TO FLOURISH IN THE FASHION INDUSTRY.
NYSD is dedicated to working collaboratively with the industry to actively involve students and teachers to accomplish this goal.
The NYSD Fashion Design certificate graduate shall have the requisite skills to begin their career as assistant fashion designers, technical designers, sample room managers, assistant pattern makers, as well as the beginning skills to start their own clothing line. They are:
- Critical thinkers adept at developing solutions to transform design concepts into professional grade garments
- Skilled in the technical aspects of garment making process: sewing, patternmaking, draping and construction. They have the ability and technical know-how to create a variety of wearable garments, such as skirts, blouses, pants, and dresses in various types of fabrics and styles
- Able to design and create a cohesive collection that represents their originality and creativity
- Competent in hand drawing of fashion figures and two dimensional flats
- Skilled in using the tools learned in computer aided design software to create a digital library of fashion flats and illustrations and mood boards
- Open to input, critique and able to work with others as career professionals and lifelong learners
- Able to utilize a full range of communication skills: verbal, written, hand drawing, and computer aided design software to communicate information to support entry-level career or education advancement opportunities
- Proactive in marketing themselves through online networking channels and in person.
New York School of Design is a candidate for accreditation by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Institutions.